This delicious raw caramel slice is anything but heathy tasting. The caramel and chocolate will win anyone over!
High in healthy fats, protein and fibre it is a treat that your body will love too!
½ C dessicated coconut
¼ cup carob powder or you can just use 2 more tbsp cocoa powder
¼ cup cocoa or cacao powder
1C ground almonds
¼ cup melted coconut oil
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
For the caramel:
1C dried dates
¼ cup almond butter
⅓ cup almond milk or coconut cream
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
1t natural vanilla essence
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
¼ tsp sea salt
For the chocolate topping:
½ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup carob powder
¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1. Line a 20cm x 20cm slice pan with baking paper.
- Put dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water, leave for 10-15 minutes or until soft
- Combine all base ingredients in a food processor and blitz until the mixture is smooth, press into the tin, you might need to use your hands or the back of a spoon to spread it out evenly. Place in freezer
- Drain the dates and add to the food processor or blender along with the other filling ingredients. Blitz until smooth.
- Pour over the top of the base and return to the freezer.
- In a small saucepan over a low heat, melt the coconut oil. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa and carob powder and maple syrup
- Pour chocolate mix on top of the caramel layer making sure it covers it evenly.
- Return pan to freezer to set.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
- I suggest you take the slice out of the freezer for a few mins to soften before cutting.